Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Twittering to a Different Tune


As I was looking through the Yahoo Entertainment section, I found an interesting article that caught my eye. "Keira Knightley 'Hates' Twitter and Facebook." The article basically quotes her as saying she "hates the Internet." The article goes on to talk about what she is obsessed with, her new movie, etc. I was intrigued because of what we have been studying in class and because she is one of the first stars to speak out against sites like Twitter and Facebook. But Knightley makes a good point, why do we need to be connected all the time?
I know that when I go to South Carolina to visit family, it is very unlikely that I am able to check my email or look at my Facebook, or even when I go home, I barely look at my computer, let alone get on it. Why though at school do I need to be continually checking everything? I guess it is because it is the way I keep up with friends at different schools and my family and classes. 
Maybe we are becoming "dehumanized" as Knightley so sweetly put it. Maybe we do spend too much time on the Internet when we should be outside enjoying the sun on days like today. Does anyone else have any ideas?

No comments: